Skills, Tests, Achievement, Recognition – this is what STARSkate is all about!
Who can register for STARSkate?
Skaters who complete CanSkate level 6 are able to move on to work on more advanced figure skating skills in STARSkate.
For more information about joining our ASC’s STARSkate program, please see our New to STARSkate page.
Skating Skills are a combination of fundamental skating movements, executed on
a pattern and skated solo. The basic components of all disciplines of figure
skating are incorporated into the program.
Ice Dance consists of seven levels of tests. It teaches timing, musicality, rhythm
interpretation, structure as well as basic skating skills such as edges, flow,
control and unison.
The dances in the STARSkate Program can be tried in any order but a candidate
must pass the required number of dances in a dance test level, before proceeding
to the next level. In addition to the traditional compulsory dances, there are also
Creative Dances to challenge skaters' creativity, artistry and originality.
Free Skating consists of the execution of jumps, spins, footwork, field
movements and stroking, either in isolation or performed in sequence to music.
The objective of the Interpretive program is to encourage and develop skaters'
creativity, expression, musicality, movement, interpretation of music, as well as
the use of space, rhythm, line and style. The program provides skaters with the
opportunity to explore the performance aspect of skating without focusing on
When you register for a STARSkate program, you will have access to:
- opportunities to be recognized through a nationally standardized testing system for achieving specific figure skating skills
- invitational and interclub competitions, including the STARSkate championship stream
- STARSkate Skater of the Year awards program
- Special STARSkate events and club functions
- Opportunity to be talent-scouted
- Opportunity for personal growth and the development of important life skills such as goal-setting, self-discipline, confidence, time management healthy lifestyle and coping strategies to deal with success and failure.
Skaters completing the CanSkate program may enter the STARSkate program (test stream) at the Star 1 level.
Sessions vary in length and are priced accordingly. The structure of each session will vary slightly depending on its length. Some sessions offer more group lessons than others. Contact the office if you have any questions about which session is best for your skater.